Tracheostomy: Procedures, Timing and Tubes
This presentation is designed to offer information on tracheotomy procedures and literature related to the timing of tracheotomy. The choice of the tracheostomy tube can have an impact on the evaluation and treatment of the tracheostomized patient, therefore, a description of the various tracheostomy tubes, types of cuffs and proper cuff maintenance will be given. Case studies will be used to demonstrate the importance of selecting proper tube size and type, as it relates to upper airway assessment, swallowing, and communication options.
- Describe the teaching/learning strategies, including the materials, resources & delivery methods for each content area.
- Explain how the timing of the tracheotomy & tracheostomy tube selection play a key role in the successful use of speaking valves.
- List complications of improper cuff management.
- List how the tracheostomy tube and inflated cuff can impact swallowing and suggest ways to reduce clinical complications.
CLICK TO VIEW COURSE
Click the link above to view this course in the Passy-Muir Education Portal
- If you are not logged in to the Education Portal, please do so after clicking the link
- If you do not have an Education Portal account, please create one
- You will be taken to the Course View page for this topic after logging in